If you’ve visited the FamilySearch blog often, you have undoubtedly read about the great webinars offered by the Family History Library. Perhaps you’ve tried to attend one of the webinars only to have extreme difficulties trying to connect. Help is on the way! Here are some step by step instructions to help you get connected quickly. Please note the following screenshots are shown using the web browser Google Chrome. The steps for Firefox are similar but the location of downloads is different as discussed below.
You can view the webinar offerings on the Family History Library Wiki page. About 10-15 minutes before the webinar is to begin follow these steps to connect to the webinar.
- From the Family History Library Wiki page click on the title of the webinar. This will take you to a new Wiki page where you will connect directly to the webinar.
- Click on the title of the webinar on the Wiki page. This is a link to the WebEx webinar page.
- You will be taken to a new window that looks like the screenshot below. Sign in with your first name and email address. Please include the state or city where you are viewing the webinar in the box after your first name.
- You will then see the following screen prompting you to install the WebEx Meetings Plug-In. Click on the blue words Run a temporary application. A temporary WebEx application will download to your computer.
- Once the file has downloaded, click on the file to launch the application. In Google Chrome this can be found in the lower left hand corner of your screen (see left illustration below). In Firefox, click on the Arrow pointing down in the upper right hand corner of your screen (see right illustration below). It should be the file at the top of the list if you have more than.
- You should now see the following screen where you can configure your audio and indicate your webcam preferences.
- To configure your audio, on the icon Call Using Computer, click on the three small dots. When you hover over these dots the word More will appear. You will then see the following options
- Call Me
- I Will Call In
- Call Using Computer
The I Will Call In option allows you to call in directly to the meeting. If you click on the I Will Call In option, the system will display the number you should call from your phone along with the access code. Follow the prompts to enter the access codes.
The Call Using Computer option uses the speakers and microphone of your computer to provide the audio of the meeting. If you choose this option, you will need to test your speakers to ensure they are functioning properly. Note: Testing your microphone is optional as you will not need it unless you are the presenter of the class. Choose your speakers and microphone from the drop down menus. Click on the Test button alongside the drop down menu to test them.
You may adjust the volume for your computer using the volume controls for your computer.
Important: Once you have tested your audio, you will need to click OK and then click on the Call Using Computer icon. You will now be in the webinar.
When the class is over, just close the window to exit the meeting.